Join climate justice activists all over California at the next meeting of the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to tell them their current draft climate plan is nowhere near good enough! Join the statewide mobilization to demand a plan that gets us past fossil fuels and ensures environmental justice.
CARB is now in the process of creating their 2022 Scoping Plan, a comprehensive plan for reducing our state’s greenhouse gas pollution. According to a background paper from the Sierra Club, the draft plan recommended by CARB staff:
- Doesn’t shut down any of the gas power plants that currently pollute our neighborhoods; keeps all fossil fuel gas plants operating
- Builds many new polluting power plants
- Plans for excessive greenhouse gas emissions (30 MMT ) from the electric sector every year through 2050, never reaching zero emissions
- Relies extensively on unproven technologies (Carbon Capture and Sequestration [CCS] in addition to direct air capture) instead of renewable energy
- Would not achieve carbon neutrality until 2045.
The California Environmental Justice Alliance’s critique of the draft plan is here.
Tell the CARB board: We need a plan that will stop fossil fuels and end environmental injustice.
Thursday, June 23, 9 AM — but gather outside at 8:30 AM to sign up to testify before heading into the meeting. Rally at 12 PM at the corner of 10th and I Streets (outside the building/courtyard) with speakers and a collective art mural.
1001 “I” St., Sacramento, or join by Zoom.
FREE BUSES are leaving at 7AM from the Laney College Parking Lot, 510 Fallon St. in Oakland, one block from the Lake Merritt BART Station. Please arrive at 6:45. To reserve a seat, RSVP here. Light breakfast and lunch will be provided, and Spanish and Cantonese translation. COVID and heat safety instructions will be emailed to everyone who registers. Please register by the 20th.
The California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA) will be livestreaming the rally on their Facebook page.
THREE MORE WAYS TO TAKE ACTION:
- Write comments. They must be received no later than June 24th and addressed to: Clerk’s Office, CARB, 1001 I St., Sacramento CA 95814, or submitted electronically.
Talking points for comments here
- Sign the letter to CARB from the California Environmental Justice Alliance and allies, calling for:
- A full, coordinated phase-out of oil refining by 2045 and oil and gas extraction by 2035.
- Acceleration and scale up of investments in clean vehicles and mass transit for working-class Californians.
- Elimination of reliance on climate policy dead ends like CCS and polluting fuel sources.
- Join the Sierra Club in telling CARB that any new plan should:
* reduce GHG emissions sooner
* ban new gas plants
* strengthen rules against emissions from heavy-duty trucks
* not rely on unproven and sometimes harmful Carbon Capture, Use, and Sequestration technologies.
Recording here of California Environmental Justice Alliance May 12 Our Climate Our Future rally.
LA Times oped by UC Berkeley climate expert Daniel Kammen includes a link to his research report detailing a plan for California to become carbon negative by 2030: California can do better than carbon neutrality by 2045 .