The It Takes Roots-hosted Solidarity to Solutions Summit is a popular assembly for all progressive social movements to gather, discuss and debate the critical strategies, solutions and proposals for collective action that will tackle the root, systemic causes of capitalism and climate change.
The gathering aims to critically examine the neo-liberal, corporate agenda of the Global Climate Action Summit and highlight the democratic, grassroots solutions being cultivated by Indigenous communities, communities of color and working class peoples around the world.
This assembly is built on the shared belief that to successfully tackle these intertwined crises, we need to take action in solidarity with the self-determination of communities on the frontlines of ecological and economic collapse. This means following their leadership in replacing the dig, burn, drive, dump systems that are destroying the planet with localized systems of caring and sharing being cultivated by those same communities.
It Takes Roots is a multiracial, multicultural, multi-generational alliance of networks and alliances representing over 200 organizations and affiliates in over 50 states, provinces, territories and Native lands in the U.S. and Canada, and is led by women, gender nonconforming people, people of color, and Indigenous Peoples. It is an outcome of years of organizing and relationship building across the Climate Justice Alliance (CJA), Grassroots Global Justice Alliance (GGJ), Indigenous Environmental Network (IEN), and Right to the City Alliance (RTC) alongside Center for Story-based Strategy and The Ruckus Society.
Sol2Sol Schedule of Events
- Saturday, September 8, 10am: Rise for Climate, Jobs and Justice March, Embarcadero, San Francisco
- Sunday, September 9: 8am Traditional Ohlone Ceremony and Welcome at the Shellmounds. Community Solutions Tours, Art Builds & Action training, Bay Area
- September 10, 8am: Mass action Against Climate Change Profiteers at Parc 55 Hotel, 55 Cyril Magnin St, San Francisco
- Tuesday, September 11: It Takes Roots Solidarity to Solutions Summit at La Raza Park, San Francisco
- Thursday, September 13, 7am: Mass Action at the Global Climate Action Summit at 736 Mission St, San Francisco