Join global climate leaders, activists, citizens, and scientist to tell EU and global leaders: You must stop pretending that we can solve the climate- and ecological crisis without treating it as a crisis!
Individuals and organizations are invited sign a letter telling world “leaders” to get serious! Start with these first steps:
- Effective immediately, halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction, immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels.
- EU member states must advocate to make ecocide an international crime at the International Criminal Court.
- Include total emissions in all figures and targets, including consumption index, international aviation and shipping.
- Starting today – establish annual, binding carbon budgets based on the current best available science and the IPCC’s budget which gives us a 66% chance of limiting the global temperature rise to below 1.5 °C. They need to include the global aspect of equity, tipping points and feedback loops and shouldn’t depend on assumptions of possible future negative emissions technologies.
- Safeguard and protect democracy.
- Design climate policies that protect workers and the most vulnerable and reduce all forms of inequality: economic, racial and gender.
- Treat the climate- and ecological emergency like an emergency.
See the complete text of the letter and a partial list of famous people who signed — and sign the letter yourself, as an individual or an organization, here